AKRON, Ohio — Akron authorities have confirmed that seven people — including five children — died in a house fire early Monday morning in the city’s Sherbondy Hill neighborhood, saying it was one of the deadliest residential fires in the community’s history.

The cause of the blaze at the two-story home remains under investigation.

The house, which was gutted, was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived at the scene after 2:46 a.m. The entire front of the house and porch were charred.

Fire Chief Clarence Tucker said it was unclear whether there were working smoke alarms inside.

Officials at the scene declined to release the identities of the victims, but the victims were unofficially identified as Dennis Huggins and Angela Boggs, who both owned the home, and children Cameron Huggins, 1; Alivia Huggins, 3; Kylle Huggins, 5; Daisia Huggins, 6; and Jered Boggs, 14. Fire officials said the bodies still need to be positively identified through dental records,

Earlier in the day, authorities had said two adults and several children lived at the house.

There had been confusion early on about how many bodies were inside the house because the floor was unstable and fire investigators weren’t able to enter the home.

Fire officials also were receiving conflicting numbers from family members and neighbors about how many people were living there.

Authorities had said the ages of the people who could have been in the house ranged from 1 to 38 years old.

—Akron Beacon Journal


21 shot in Chicago over Mother’s Day weekend, but sharp drop from last year

CHICAGO — Six people were killed and 15 others were wounded in shootings over the Mother’s Day weekend in Chicago, a dramatic drop in gun violence from the same weekend last year, according to data kept by the Chicago Tribune.

Last year, one of the bloodiest weekends of the year occurred over Mother’s Day, with more than 50 people shot, eight of them fatally, according to Tribune data. Fifteen of those victims were shot over a 3 {-hour period on Mother’s Day.

The lower toll this past weekend continues a downward trend in gun violence in Chicago.

The city has logged at least 214 homicides this year compared with 227 this time last year, according to Tribune data. The number of people shot is down by about 9 percent: At least 1,174 gunshot victims this year compared to 1,297 people this time last year.

The worst of this past weekend’s violence fell on Sunday, when five of the six fatal shootings occurred.

Around 2:35 a.m., two best friends were fatally shot while stopped at a traffic light in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side, police said. The car continued down the street and crashed into a Mobil gas station. A man in a wheelchair was injured in the crash.

Later in the day, three men were shot to death within three hours in separate attacks on the South Side.

—Chicago Tribune


Actor who played Suge Knight in ‘Straight Outta Compton’ arrested in Miami area

MIAMI — The actor who portrayed future rap mogul Suge Knight in the movie “Straight Outta Compton” was arrested early Monday after police said he beat up a security guard at a Sunny Isles Beach resort.

Richard Marcus Taylor, 40, was charged with misdemeanor battery and is being held at a Miami-Dade jail.

Taylor played a small role in the critically acclaimed 2015 movie about the ground-breaking Southern California hip-hop ground N.W.A. He played the part of Marion “Suge” Knight, who aligned with rapper Dr. Dre to start Death Row Records, and is now jailed awaiting trial on a murder charge.

Taylor lists himself as an actor, stuntman, fitness trainer and martial arts instructor, according to his IMDB page. Taylor, who lives in New Jersey, also appears in the Netflix show “Luke Cage” and the upcoming flick “Baby Driver.”

On his Instagram page, Taylor recently posted a string of vacation photos and videos from Sunny Isles Beach.

The row started Sunday night when the uniformed security officer at the Marenas Beach Resort asked Taylor to take his foot off a table in the lobby, police said.

Taylor refused and told the guard “to leave him alone,” according to an arrest report. The guard walked to the front desk to ask staffers to call police.

Five minutes later, as the guard waited at the front desk, Taylor walked over and pushed him to the ground, the report said. “A full physical fight ensued,” the report said.

—Miami Herald

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.