The Calallen Wildcats rolled over the Gregory-Portland Wildcats 51-12 Friday, racking up their fifth win, as Calallen prepares for district play with an undefeated record.

Calallen started its first possession from their own 33. Quarterback Jeramie Marek wasted no time throwing the ball as his very first snap resulted in a 72-yard pass to receiver Matt Garza.

Two plays later, Marek ran up the middle with the quarterback keeper and scored the first touchdown.

Gregory-Portland started to build momentum, getting down to Calallen's 12-yard line, but Marek caught an interception from Gregory-Portland quarterback Sterling Martin as Calallen's offense regained possession.

Marek ran for his second touchdown down the right sideline as he broke a tackle and outran three defenders for 80 yards. Gregory-Portland was behind 14-0 with 5:43 left in the first quarter.

The G-P Wildcats tried keeping the ball on the ground as they drove from their own 30 to the Calallen 17.

But their passing game was unsuccessful as they were forced to kick a field goal.

Calallen was back to receive the kick off, but the ball was fumbled and recovered by Gregory-Portland at Calallen's 23 as the first quarter came to a close.

Deep into Calallen territory, Gregory-Portland tried to convert on fourth down, but was unsuccessful as Calallen got the ball back.

Marek continued punishing Gregory-Portland's defense with his running game, scoring his third touchdown run of the game with a 48-yard run down the middle.

Later in the second quarter, Calallen's Bryden McClure returned the ball for a touchdown on a punt, but it was called back because of a block-in-the-back penalty.

Calallen rebounded from the penalty as McClure ran for a touchdown, giving Calallen a 28-3 lead as time was running out in the first half.

Calallen quickly got the ball back as Martin's pass was intercepted by Hunter Whestsel, who ran the ball to Calallen's 16-yard line. Calallen kicked a field goal, ending the half with Calallen dominating, 31-3.

Gregory-Portland's troubles on offense continued in the third quarter as a fumble was recovered by Calallen's Colton Parker. As Calallen pushed down the field, Marek threw an interception to Gregory-Portland's Duck Lowrance.

Marek made up for that interception while defensive back and catching his second pick of the night during Gregory-Portland's possession.

Gregory-Portland did have some offensive production in the game as Isaac Sanchez ran 64 yards for a touchdown.

"It was a great victory and great game play all around," said Calallen head coach Phil Danaher. "We caught them off guard right off the bat with a new formation we have been working this week and our boys just did well tonight."

"Team work was key for this game," said Calallen back-up quarterback Dustin Vaughan. "Our line did a great job and just helped us push forward."

After the first half of the season, the Calallen Wildcats reamain the only team in District 31-4A without a single loss.

Marek has been a key player so far leading in several categories - most points scored, most rushing yards, most interceptions caught, most return yards, and most passing yards.

The Wildcats have also had key defensive players looking good at the halfway point as well.

Linebacker Kris Guererro leads the team in tackles with 48.

Nose tackler Chris Molano leads with the team in sacks with five, and Alan Ford leads with the most forced fumbles with two.

They'll hope to put that effort into good use as they take a week off before they begin district play at home against the Alice Coyotes Oct. 12.

"Now we are going to concentrate on getting our players well and going to work on our execution," Danaher said.