Here are five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. The big movies opening this week are “The Expendables 3,” a PG-13 action film in the popular franchise, starring Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li and Antonio Banderas; “Let’s Be Cops,” an R comedy starring Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr.; and “The Giver,” a PG-13 sci-fi flick based on the novel by Lowis Lowry.
2. Friday is National Relaxation Day, a holiday we can definitely get behind. If you can take the day off from work, do so and relax by the pool or chill out at home. If you have to work, plan an evening of watching a movie or binge-watching a TV show, or whatever you consider most relaxing.
3. Sunday is National Thrift Shop Day. Since it falls on a Sunday, you can celebrate Saturday instead. Go find some inexpensive treasures - figurines, clothes, artwork or whatever. Discover (or rediscover) how fun it can be to go thrift store shopping.
4. School is right around the corner, so if you have school-age kids, this is the perfect weekend for some back-to-school shopping. You can try to find some deals at a thrift shop, or head to your favorite store. Have a game plan in mind so you and your kids aren’t just running around aimlessly.
5. In sports, this weekend we have the Little League Baseball World Series (Aug. 14-24), always a big hit. Also in action are Major League Baseball, NASCAR and Major League Soccer. Check the newspaper for schedules.