CORPUS CHRISTI - The Corpus Christi Police Department was forced to close down Interstate 37 South after several car accidents took place beginning at approximately 7:30 A.M. Interstate 37 South remained shut down while officers and city crews cleaned up the freeway in several different areas.

The mornings events started out with a one vehicle roll over near Suntide Road. As Officers and first responders approached the scene two other vehicles were observed in a collision with each other.

It is unknown if the next crash report was in relation to the one responded units observed or not. However, a second call was made reporting a two car collision near Suntide.

At approximately 7:50 A.M. another crash took place involving two semi-trucks. In the midst of the collision between the semiís three additional cars were reported in this incident near carbon Plant Road.

While the collision between the semi-trucks was taking place a three car crash was being reported on McKenzie Road. At this point it is not know if the weather was a contributing factor to the incidents.

At 8:22 a.m. officers closed IH 37 South at McKenzie Road. Traffic was detoured to access roads.

Meanwhile at 8:27 a.m. a two car crash was reported at carbon Plant Road. This was unrelated to the 5 car incident involving the semi-trucks.

Following those collisions a report of a crash involving nearly 15 cars and another semi-truck was reported at IH 37 South at Violet Road.

At Approximately 9 a.m. HAZMAT crews were requested to respond to the semi-truck crash near Violet Road as fluid and materials leaking from the jack knifed trailer were believed to be hazardous.

As the HAZMAT team was called to respond another crash was reported on IH 37 South near Callicoatte Road. Only a few minutes later the Corpus Christi Police Department called for all city wreckers to respond to the crash scene.

At approximately 9:50 a.m. a crash involving a dump truck was reported near IH 37 South and Callicoatte Road. Lanes on IH 37 South and McKenzie were opened at about 10 a.m.

The many collisions that took place caused several traffic delays but one lane of traffic was opened by 11:20 a.m. and access roads were no longer used for diverting traffic. It is still not known if the rain experienced Monday morning was a contributing factor to the various collisions.

Several people were transported by Emergency Medical Services to different area hospitals. There have been no reports of any life threatening injuries.