Fire destroys Banquete family home of 32 years; Here's how to help
A Banquete family lost nearly everything last week after a house fire destroyed their home of 32 years.
Irene and Roger Garcia, 58 and 60, were out eating with their son, Roger jr., 21, when their house caught fire on Jan. 4.
"I don’t know where the fire started, but when we came back there was a neighbor on the porch and they said our house was on fire," Irene said.
Bluntzer Fire Department, Annaville Fire Department and Nueces County ESD #3 responded to the fire. Bluntzer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Diana Bluntzer said the cause of the fire was most likely electrical.
There were no injuries, Bluntzer added.
The Garcias lost practically everything in their home to fire and water damage.
"The whole roof caved in," Irene said.
Irene and Roger, who are both disabled, are staying with a family member as they raise funds to rebuild their longtime home.
Garcia's niece created a GoFundMe campaign for the family.
"At first I didn’t want to do anything because I know it’s hard for everybody right now," Garcia said. "I know a lot of people are without work and I don’t want to take what little they have."
There will also be a benefit for the family from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan 23 at the Francisco Drive Thru in Robstown.
Plates will cost $8 and include a hamburger with chips, soda, cookie and condiments.
"Thank you to everybody that’s been supporting and helping us," Garcia said.
More local news
Ashlee Burns covers trending and breaking news in South Texas. See our subscription options and special offers at Caller.com/subscribe